Tuesday, April 15, 2014

It's not a diet...It's a healthier lifestyle

Ok, let's be honest… I'm lazy! I like to watch TV, play video games, check Facebook, post things from Pinterest, and sleep. As I stated last week, I want to change! Last week, I wrote my goal and promise to myself. I started this blog, in the hopes that it would help remind me of what I want and to keep me from being discouraged. One thing that I have recently come to accept about myself, is that I am someone who wants instant gratification, which I think is one of many reasons I am so lazy. This need for instant gratification leads to frustration, quitting, disappointment, and in some cases depression. So with this new accepted knowledge about myself, I began. Each time I have started down this path before, I usually get a good running start and then it becomes an uphill climb with a 1-step-forward-2-steps-back mentality. Usually with a lot of aching bones and joints. But this time is different, I have compiled an arsenal of quotes, advice, workout plans, meal plans, & support to help push, pull, carry and move my butt up that hill.
                One part of my support team is my amazing chiropractor Dr. Amy. When I was first diagnosed, she was really helpful in educating me on the hows and whys of what my body was telling me. It was helpful to see that there was something else going on in my body that wouldn't have been corrected just by medication. She has also been there to help keep me motivated to continue to work out. By the 3rd week of my previous attempts at being healthy, I would feel terrible. My bones and joints and muscles would all ache , and it made it easier to quit. By going in for my adjustments on a regular bases, my body feels a lot better. My knees don't ache, I don't have tension headaches, and I feel like I can move a lot better than before.
                The piece of advice I am choosing to work on this week is a comment left by my friend Jenn last week. This is what she said: "Only change one thing out and one thing at a time-like getting rid of Mtn. Dew and adding water one week (Done back in October) and the next week (or 6 months) trade out one of your snacks or meals for something healthier." So this week I traded out my frat boy eating style for something healthier. Buuuuutttt…. I didn't start the week out too well. On Wednesday, I ate pizza for every meal. But then I read another quote (yes on pinterest- don't judge me ;) )
"Ok. So you had a bad day. Don't beat yourself up over it, but don't let one bad decision send you spiraling out of control. Grab those running shoes and get back into it. Get back to making decisions that improve your health and your happiness. You are who you choose to be."

                With that quote fresh in my mind, Thursday after my work out session with my trainer John, I went grocery shopping. I bought broccoli, apples, strawberries, chicken breast, string cheese, whole wheat past, and brown rice among other healthy options. Throughout the rest of the week, I did well. Saturday I had a vanilla milkshake, but I was ok with that. My piece of advice for myself in the future and those who need it now. If you make a mistake, learn from it and move on. Stop beating yourself up, believe in yourself, and remember you can shine no matter what you are made of!


7 comments:

  1. I love that quote from Pinterest about not beating yourself up. And moving on. This is a process. One day and sometimes one meal or milkshake at a time. Also I feel famous! Love reading your posts! When you get tired of chicken breast think about ground turkey to go with your whole wheat pasta. It's delish and as long as its seasoned a bit- I can't tell the difference between it and the higher fat content of ground beef. Keep chugging along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Felica. One day at a time. Just know that you will have challenges, but keep the end result in focus. A healthier life style. You got this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew we were friends for a reason (well, several actually)! Love you Chica!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome job. I'm enjoying the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your doing great . I know you can do anything you choose to do. Keep on Keeping on, you got this. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are an inspiration Felicia! Keep that in mind when you want to quit. John is an awesome trainer and will always help you (while kicking your butt:)). I look forward to your updates!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Felicia! I work with John, too, and face a LOT of the same struggles! I love your blog and maybe we can motivate each other. Your quote reminded me of my favorite quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson, and I thought I would share it here (I have it on a big sign on my wall at work!) - "Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Good luck in your journey - we're all cheering you on!
    -Keri

    ReplyDelete